Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mere Christianity

Mere Christianity. This is the only other work of C.S. Lewis that I had even heard of (other than the Chronicles) before this class. And I had never even read it, and didn't really know anything about it. But through reading the preface, I discovered that this was an actual discussion. So while reading this, I really liked it because of the style. I love to talk (I know you might not believe it because I have been quiet in class) but I love to talk and this conversationalist style he uses in this really hits home for me.
In the beginning it talks about moral law. When I first thought about it, I said that there could not be a moral law for everyone. Everyone has been brought up differently with different experiences, situations and family life. Lewis argues that there could be mere conventions that could be different, but that the moral law could take care of the little things that everyone would agree with.
One of the most interesting things I thought about this was the playing of the piano. My group talked about this for most of our time together today. We all found it interesting and unique. There are situations where all the notes sounds perfect together. And other times when the notes sound terrible together. God tells us which notes to play, what tune to go by, what notes to follow. Sometimes we mess up and miss the keys, or want to do it our own way because we think it's better. "Our instincts are merely the keys." We live in a complex society and that causes for a complex song with complex music.
Another point that I found rather interesting was how he brought up how we would be observed from the outside. We look at animals and we can't realize their choices, we only see their decisions. We 'feel' this moral law in us, and we make choices on it. But if you looked at us from the outside you wouldn't be able to see the moral law that we 'felt'.
Professor Ribeiro quoted Lewis at the close of class that I have thought about that all day. "We laugh at honor, and are surprised to find a traitor in our midst." That is so true. We do not focus on the good people, we always focus on the people who need help and make mistakes. But we act so surprised when we hear something bad.
I don't really know how I feel about this. It is very sobering to think about this. This class has been so good for me. I have begun to think and reexamine my life. "Little decisions have dire consequences."

No comments:

Post a Comment