Monday, January 19, 2009

The Poison of Subjectivism

Pride and greed. Two things that I have always struggled with. Through high school I was "Mr. Popular", Three sport athlete, Sadie Hawkins Court King. I was it. And I knew it. I wanted everyone to like me, I wanted all the girls to want me, I wanted to be the best at all the sports. I was arrogant and used it to my advantage. So when this essay started out equating those things with misery and vice, I knew I was in for a trip.
One thing that was really interesting to me was the time period in which this was written. It really made me think back to that time. At first while reading, I thought Lewis was just pointing out stereotypical characteristics of Germans and Japanese people. But the more I got to reading, the more I began to understand the severity of the topic. Lewis claims that we have been programmed to think a certain way, and to behave a certain way. I guess that needs to change. We have nothing to base that claim on. This is a problem, Lewis says, because he says we base too many things off of ideas that have no support. There are so many differences within culture groups and religious groups that it causes a difference in ways people are brought up and "programmed" to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment